Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Guns Are Like Free Kittens

Guns are like fee Kittens.  The initial expense is nada compared to maintaining them.

Getting ready for competitions means a lot of practice.  That is not a problem; practice is fun.  What is not fun is going to the store to purchase ammunition.  That is expensive!  My toes curl.  My fingers freeze in a grip too big to get into my pocket.  I close my eyes and image me winning a trophy at a tournament and I can loosen up to get out my credit card.

I wanted to practice bringing the gun into the chest position and, at the same time, taking my finger off the trigger.  Practicing at home pretending you are shooting is good to develop muscle movement so that your movements between targets are automatic.  You shoot, check for other dangers, pull to the chest, take your finger off the trigger, run to the next target and shoot. 

What home practice does not do is make sure you are also doing the proper muscle movement to line up your shot.  Academy sports had a sale on 22 ammunition for $1.98 a box versus $12.00 a box for the 9mm. So I packed up my guns and gear, blew the dust off my credit card, bought a bunch of 22's and headed for the range.

Now I fretted because my 22 is nothing like my m&p 9mm and I was lining up shots ok, but was I still getting the quality practice I needed?

My personal gun shopper is Alan (He is crazy, but fun.) who also owns a gun shop to which I refer as the Company Store.  It seems as if I will never get out of debt with him.  After I told him my concern of not being sure the 22 was helping me line up the 9 mm shots, he just as casually as can be pulls out the 22 version of the m & p. 

Bugger!  Now I absolutely HAVE to have that gun!

No comments:

Post a Comment