Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The New Adventure - DuroCoating

Those of you who have seen pictures of my firearms know that purple is on everyone of my firearms.  My bff, Alan Fomorin, with whom  I graduated from high school a couple years ago, has been my DuroCoat expert.

Alan doing them was well and good but I decided that I wanted to learn how to do my own.  Even though my advanced degrees are in science, my undergraduate degree is in Art.  Long Story.  I believed I could do this.    It is not as easy as it looks.

This belief lead me to another adventure learning how to DuroCoat firearms.  

Lesson One:  The set up for DuroCoating is very elaborate.  Many destributers of paint for firearms has kits with spray cans of paint.  Don't do it!  Spray cans don't give you enough control of the paint spray to guarantee an even paint job.

Lesson Two:  Learn how to clean your air brush properly unless your have lots of miney to buy lots of them.  This can get expensive.

Lesson Three:  You need a lot of room.  One so you don't end up painting your lungs and the other that you don't paint your just finished gold trigger green when you paint your barrel green..

Lesson Four: What can go wrong will.

Lesson Five:  DuroCoating is tons of fun with amazing results


My next blogs will give you examples of my adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment