Sunday, February 12, 2012

The First Tournament

I labeled this the first tournament because I know I am going to do more.  I really enjoy shooting, but soon realized that just point and shoot in the range is not challenging enough.  After you tear out a couple holes in the bulls eye, you look for something else to shoot that is more challenging.  The range master refused to allow me to let a bunch of mice lose in the range.  Bah humbug to him.

To do a tournament you have to observe many safety rules.  All of the organizers have all their fingers and toes and that is because safety comes before all.  If you break a rule, they release you from the tournament that day.  You have to stay, help the organizers and observe all the safety rules.

The organizers said years ago they expelled the offender but that didn't give them any way to observe and learn what they did wrong and how to do it right.  Wise men.  (Yes, Divas, that is an oxymoron.)

The actors (that is what they call the shooters) walk through the scenario together and learn what they are to do.  Then, when it is your turn you stand next to the timekeeper and he or she asks you if you understand the rules.  Then says you are allowed to load your handgun.  You put in the clip and then put the gun into the holster.  When you are ready, you nod and he starts the clock.  You are to present your hand gun properly and then can begin the scenario.
The video above will show you the proper procedure.  This is a series of really good videos.  Go to this National Shooting Sports Foundation YouTube page to see the other videos they have. 


This is important!  Trumpet sound!  The reason you place your left hand to your tummy area is to prevent yourself from shooting holes in your hand.  Needless to say this is an important step to remember. 

 I arrived 15 minutes early for the 7 p.m. start time which is about a three hours early Brownsville social time.  It was just me and one organizer so we decided we would do drills. The drills were just shooting the people shaped targets in a row with no obstacles in front of them. 

That was easy enough but add the process of presenting your handgun caused my concentration to go to the presentation and I managed to miss most of the targets.  But I did get my gun in and out of the holster safely.  It seemed easier at home, but practicing without an expert or person in the know with you fools you.  You feel as if you are doing it correctly and can fool yourself into thinking you are. 

Then, according to the social structure of Brownsville, people started showing up after 7 so we started with drills and, as more actors and organizers showed up, set up a complete scenario. 

The scenarios I did went about the same.  I would concentrate on presenting the weapon, shooting, bringing the gun back into chest position, and then shooting.  At the end you have to eject your clip (the magazine), check for ammunition that might be in the chamber, and then clear (dry fire) to show that the gun indeed has no ammunition. 

The last round I almost redeemed myself with a perfect 0 for the two scenarios that I shot through a window.  The one that I had to shoot around barrels, I got my eyes mixed up.  When younger I had crossed eyes and they repaired them, but they don't work together.  Sometimes I have trouble going from one to the other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment